Student Athletes Expectations:
1. Respect the rights and property of others. To be a team player.
2. Follow directions; prepare to give an honest effort with a positive attitude.
3. Be prepared for class – dress out in proper athletic clothes, shoes, and gear.
4. No drug or alcohol use – ZERO TOLERANCE
5. No hazing of ANY TYPE – ZERO TOLERANCE.
6. Abide ALL SAFETY RULES (no jaywalking) and stay on the course designated by the coach and NEVER run alone.
7. Any inappropriate behavior on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat…) or any inappropriate behavior during and after school/practice hours will be ground for immediate dismissal from the team. Understand that coaches maintain the RIGHT TO SELECT OR CUT some runners based on their participation, attitude, citizenship, work ethic, integrity… not just based on how FAST you run, jump or throw.
The following will be used to determine your grade:
10 points for fully participating to the best of your ability.
8 points for being present but not participating due to illness or injury but staying for the full practice after 3rd day without a Dr note.
0 point for not being present regardless of the reason (may ask for a makeup assignment).
*full practice is considered staying until 4:30 pm at the earliest or when a coach releases you.
Excused Practice Pass: You will be given 4 passes in a season. These cannot be used consecutively. You can use them on any short practice/recovery days for any reason. You will still need to dress out but will be released at 3:05 pm.
100% of the meet total for competing.
80% of the meet total for not competing (if you have been selected to compete) but helping out and present until the coach releases you without an excuse.
0% of the meet total for absence regardless of the reason (may ask for a makeup assignment).
A one-time exemption will be made for outside club activities like soccer. All efforts will be made to accommodate other in season school activities or sports with prior agreement with a course teacher/coach. All requests for early dismissal or to be excused must be made by the athlete (not by a parent) 48 hours prior to practice or meet through XC Stats in writing. Please be HONEST! All reasonable requests will be honored if you are HONEST!
In Season Practices: 50 x 10 = 500 points
(Feb 14 to May 1, transferred athletes from winter sports will be given full credit for days missed)
Pre Season Dual Meet with San Juan Hills: 50 points
Mandatory Dual Meets: 4 x 75 = 300 points for staying the entire meet (exception will be made for athletes who submitted a request in advance)
2 Invitationals: 2 x 50 = 100 points. You are not required to compete unless you have been selected. You may choose to not compete due to Invite Fees or for a number of other reasons but you must turn in a written assignment to receive full credit.
Final Exam: 50 points
Total Possible Points: 1000 points A = 900+, B = 800-899, C = 700-799, D = 600-699
Additional points may be earned by helping at meets or attending additional invitationals, please check with the coach for possible bonus points. All the required meets will be available to all athletes who qualify for the meet’s minimum standard and the participation fee will be covered by the team for the 2 required invitationals.
Non-dress/Tardy/Daily Assignment Consequences:
1st incident – verbal warning.
2nd incident – written warning.
3rd incident – referral to Administration/may results in dismissal from the team.
*all school policies will be in full force in addition to the team policy.
If you are well enough to come to school, but feeling too ill to participate in practice, or have an injury that prevents you from participating, you must do the following to receive PARTIAL credit:
1. Bring a note signed by a parent with a contact phone number.
2. DRESS OUT.
3. Participate in the stretches and any other part of the exercises you feel you can. If you have an injury that prevents you from participating longer than 3 days, a doctor’s note will be required.
We hope to help our student-athletes become a lifetime lover of physical activity and running. Since those are the expectations we have placed upon ourselves, we must require these few simple rules to follow from our student-athletes. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. If at any point in time you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Attendance & Practice
Due to COVID19, the practice schedule will vary by each event coach. You are expected to stay for at least 2 hours of practice each day. Below is an example and not a set schedule.
The roll call will begin exactly at 2:15 pm or 2:30 pm on late start days (may not apply). You must be seated in your assigned seat at that time or you will be marked absent or tardy. Weekday practices will end at appx 4:30 pm on school days. The Class ends at 4:30 pm and not 3:05 pm. Participation in daily practice is worth 50% of your grade. Saturday practices will start at 7:30 am and end at appx 9:30 am (Different event coaches may have a different schedule). You will be allowed to leave practice after all core, drill, and stretching exercises have been completed, NOT BEFORE. If you have other obligations (work, soccer) that are before 4:30 pm then, unfortunately, ET Track & Field may not work out for you. This will not be mutually beneficial for you or your teammates, work, or other sports. Please think it over before joining ET Track & Field.
Attendance will be recorded daily!! Team members are expected to be at practice each day. If you have an unexcused absence you may not be allowed to run in the next meet and your final grade will be lowered. After 5 unexcused absences, you will be asked to find another sport. The coach will determine if your absence is excused or unexcused. Furthermore, each event head coach will have slightly different weekend/holiday practice schedules and participation requirements.
You may be ineligible to compete in a race following an unexcused absence. You must inform your coach in advance if you will be missing practice. Below are examples of an unexcused absence.
• Have a friend or teammate tell the coach, ABSOLUTELY NOT, unless it is an EMERGENCY. See examples below.
• Tell the coach right before practice unless it is an EMERGENCY.
• Tell the coach next day.
Excused/Unexcused Absences and Procedure
• Family emergency – If this is a true emergency it may be difficult to let us know before practice, no worries. Parents, please just be HONEST and do not cover up for your athlete.
• Vacations – Please clear any other family visits or trips with the coach before you go.
• Religious Observances.
• Meet with a teacher for extra help or make up an exam.
• Doctor’s Appointment/DMV.
• Notify coaches through xcstats in advance to be excused.
Unexcused absences include but are not limited to… remember, you signed up to join ET Track & Field
• I have a soccer game (unless with prior approval), bike ride, ping pong tournament on Saturday and I am choosing to play instead of competing in the invitational or come to practice.
• I have a big homework project. Academics are first but plan ahead! Learn to use your time wisely and manage your time. This skill will help you in the future!
• I am taking an AP/IB class. 90% of the varsity team members are… we are one of the highest GPA sports team on campus. Our varsity team members usually carry a GPA over 4.0!
• I have friends and/or relatives in town… If grandma is from England, I am sure you knew in advance. Get prior approval. Communicate so we can help you spend time with grandma and adjust your schedule so you did not waste all that time getting in shape.
• My parents are making me go to my uncle’s house. Go after practice! Invite your uncle to practice or to our next meet! Parents, please do not cover for your athlete!! They are in HS now… good time for them to accept responsibility.
• I’m really tired, I did not sleep last night. Learn to manage your time better, we all have those days. Be honest with your coach. If you are honest, the coach may give you a break! Honesty goes a long way. Remember, the coach has heard everything.
• My goldfish died. My dog ate my homework, etc.
After 3rd unexcused absences, athlete may be moved to a different group where the practice schedule is less vigorous, lose invite privileges, or both. In an extreme case, you will be referred to the admin for dismissal. All requests for early dismissal or to be excused must be made by the ATHLETE (not by a parent) 48 hours prior to practice or meet through XC Stats in writing.
Parents DO’s and DON’Ts
• DO encourage your athlete…
• DO cheer them at meets but show good sportsmanship…
• DO provide proper equipment… watch, good shoes/socks/shorts, etc
• DO have your athlete contact the coach with issues… if it is not resolved, see below.
• DO contact Coach Chai with comments or concerns…
• DO understand that they will get out what they put in… not any more or less. This is not an easy sport! God given talent will only go so far!
• DO leave the coaching, race strategy, etc to the coaching staff… we know what we are doing. You may be an Olympian but we are his/her coach. We are happy to listen… communicate with us first.
• DO NOT make excuses/cover for your athlete… you would be surprised what we know. Be honest!
• DO NOT ask them to PR at each meet… they will not and it’s by design!
• DO NOT coach your athlete… you may know more but only 1 cook in the kitchen, PLEASE! Communicate with us.
• DO NOT ask for special treatment… even if your son/daughter is the #1 athlete on the team. Doesn’t help him/her or the team.
• DO NOT criticize the program… all that does is put doubt in his/her head!
This is the greatest and purest of all sports in our humble opinion. Coaches are reasonable people, reasonable and HONEST requests will be seriously considered as all rules can be bent. Please help represent this great sport, our school, team, and yourself by being respectful parents.